Links to information on
Movin' Out can now accept the proceeds from a donated vehicle from anyplace in the country. Vehicles are picked up free of charge at your home, office, dealership or repair shop! Your vehicle can be running or not. You don't even need to be home when the vehicle is towed. Our vehicle donation program is made possible through our partnership with Donate For Charity.
By donating your vehicle to Movin' Out:
• This money helps us to continue supporting people with disabilities who have housing needs.
• You receive auction sales price of your vehicle as a tax deduction, or $500, whichever is the greater amount. The money from these sales can be a significant contribution to our work.
• You avoid the possibility of receiving a low trade-in value from a dealer, the anxiety and hassle of selling to a private-party, and the program allows you a way to provide money to Movin' Out even if your vehicle has mechanical problems. If you decide to donate your vehicle.
If you decide to donate your vehicle:
• It will be picked up free of charge anywhere and you don’t have to be present.
• Many of our auction yards have bidders competing from all over the world so we are able to get high wholesale prices for even non-running cars. Older model cars are picked up by our nationwide salvage yards.
The economic slump and its outsized impact on home sales and mortgage lending have led some opinion leaders to question the value of home ownership, especially for first time home buyers with low to moderate income. Movin' Out home owners have another story to tell: a story that reinforces the idea that home ownership still offers sustainability and belonging. Here is one Movin' Out homeowner’s story:
“When our son was diagnosed with autism seven years ago, the plan we'd had for our lives was derailed. In the years since then we have devoted every spare penny and all our time to helping him realize his full potential. With very little savings and only one moderate income we gave up on our dream of owning a home and having a back yard in which our son could play. We struggled to find room for all of his therapy equipment in the rentals we could afford.
Then we were referred to Movin' Out. Through the wonderful support and guidance of a Movin' Out Housing Counselor and the well-organized process Movin' Out has established, we made our way through the steps of finding a home in which to raise our boy. We have lived in and loved our home for over a year and feel grateful every day for the opportunity. The folks at Movin' Out worked a small miracle in piecing together multiple funding sources for us. They helped us prepare for the responsibility we were taking on in buying a house. They offered encouragement, practical and emotional support, and celebrated with us when the keys were in our hand.
It was a really amazing thing to find and work with an organization whose mission is to bring about such a profound change in the lives of people with disabilities and their families. The gifts of roots, comfort, and building a place in our community are beyond description. We would never have known these if not for Movin' Out.”